Sunday, February 03, 2013

National School Counseling Week and Day 1



National School Counseling Week is here, once again! I have to admit that this week usually sneaks up on me every year and after it goes by without a second thought I say to myself, "I should have...."

Although it snuck up on me again this year, I decided I would do something. At first, I had big plans - school counselor trivia with prizes. I bagged that idea when I found myself stressing out about the details of the logistics. Then I thought I'd do something for the staff as I had years ago. I bagged that idea too when I just didn't feel like I had the energy to conjure up something cutesy or creative for them and then "make" whatever it would have been. So, I am just going to do "simple" - a morning announcement each day this week.

I decided I would read each announcement (even though I'm not a fan of being at the microphone) - to ensure that is read how I intended it to. I'm in the process now of writing up each day's announcement. I decided to write my own instead of using the ASCA samples for this year.

Here is my Day 1 Announcement:

Good Morning! It is National School Counseling Week and the perfect time to remind all of you about my job as a school counselor, how I can help you, and some tips for us to remember. Each day this week, I will have a message during morning announcements.

What does a school counselor do? I help students when they are feeling upset, scared, angry, or worried. I teach students skills that are important to be successful in school and in life such as how to work with others, how to treat others kindly, how to be respectful and responsible, how to be a successful learner, how to be safe, and how to help each other. I help students begin to think about their future by talking about careers, talking about interests and hobbies, and understanding how careers and doing well in school go together. I work with students in classrooms, in small groups, or by themselves. I also work with grown-ups such as parents, teachers, and folks in the community. If you ever need to talk to me about something that is upsetting, worrisome, or scary or if you need my help to solve a problem, you can fill out a Talk Time slip or tell your teacher. I will speak with you as soon as I can.

Also, this week I have the opportunity to attend a networkshop and luncheon that our local School Counselors Association holds three times a year. The second networkshop is always planned during National School Counseling Week. At this networkshop, besides lunch, professional development, and networking, the Annual Counselor of the Year Award is given to a deserving professional school counselor from one of the two counties our Association serves. A few years ago, I was blessed to have been nominated for this award and was completly shocked to learn that I had won the honor. It is quite something to be recognized by your peers! Next year, consider nominating a school counseling colleague for your local School Counselors Association, your state School Counselors Association, or the ASCA Counselor of the Year Award!

Happy National School Counseling Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment