Sunday, January 15, 2012

Where is the school counselor?



After being inspired by Danielle Schultz's School Counselor Blog, I decided that I needed to have one of my very own Where is the school counselor? wheels!

Using foamboard for the background (I wanted something that would stand the test of time), I drew and cutout a half circle using an Exacto knife. It's a fairly large piece...about 2 feet in diameter. Next, I divided up the half circle into equal segments. Using various designs of educational scrapbooking paper/cardstock, I cut out the pieces of the pie and stuck them onto the foamboard (using a lot of scrapbooking doublestick adhesive). On my computer I inserted a circle shape in a word document and played around with the circle size until I found a size that worked on the wheel. I copied and pasted several, added text to each one (naming the locations I decided on), cut them out, and stuck them onto the wheel. Last, I used some more scrapbooking cardstock to create the pointer. I cut out a double layer of the pointer I drew and then used a brad to attach it to the wheel. Here it is...



Considering I feel like I'm running a marathon everyday, I'm doing my best at remembering to move the pointer every time I leave our office. Usually I head off in one direction in the school and end up making multiple other stops before returning to our office...so I move the pointer to where I plan on going first!! When I forget, students who are walking by our room will move it for me...they'll take a peek in the office and if I'm not in there (when the pointer says that I am), they take a guess and figure I'm either "working with students" or "visiting a classroom." So funny!!


6 comments:

  1. I like how big you made yours! I also put mine on foam!It works so well.

    I have the same problem of sometimes forgetting to move mine...especially when I have a student in my office! If I forget, I get knocks at the door : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tabitha! I wanted it to fit perfectly on this little wall by my office door - so, that meant making it bigger! Can't believe how useful it has been!

      Delete
  2. This is such a cute idea! I love it. I also wanted to share my blog with you. It is: http://counselingcorner-allison.blogspot.com/. I would love to add some followers...it is hard to stay motivated to write without followers! :) Thanks! I really enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Allison! I will definitely follow your blog...heading there next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you use a template or something for the scrapbook paper? I am having issues with getting them to fit correctly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Used my crafting skills and a ruler. Measured out the sections I wanted and then made a template to help make it easier.

      Delete